Owen Hiltz named ACC Offensive Player of the Week

Joe Zhao | Asst. Photo Editor

Owen Hiltz has earned ACC Offensive Player of the Week honors following an eight-point performance in Syracuse’s win over Virginia Saturday.

Syracuse attack Owen Hiltz was named the Atlantic Coast Conference Offensive Player of the Week Tuesday in the conference’s latest weekly awards. Hiltz is the seventh SU player to earn an ACC Player of the Week honor and the third to win it on the offensive side this year, along with Joey Spallina and Jake Stevens.

Hiltz spearheaded a dominant attack for the Orange in their 18-17 victory over then-No. 4 Virginia on April 20. Despite leading point-getter Spallina tallying zero points for the first time in his college career, Hiltz made up for it by unleashing an eight-point performance.

He scored three goals and tied a career-best mark by dishing out five assists. It also proved to be a season-high in points as the junior attack picked apart the Cavaliers’ defense with timely passing and winning his one-on-one matchups. Hiltz’s production helped quell the effect of UVA star attack Connor Shellenberger’s nine-point afternoon and keep SU close throughout.

Across Syracuse’s 15-game regular season, Hiltz ranked first on the team in goals (33) and was second in points (54). Both marks are career-bests for Hiltz, who’s in his third year at SU.