Syracuse signs 3 players on National Signing Day

Corey Henry | Senior Staff Photographer

Dino Babers and Syracuse added three players to its 2022 recruiting class.

Syracuse football landed three recruits on National Signing Day, adding to the 13 players it previously signed during the early period in December. On ACC Network, head coach Dino Babers said Wednesday was a “really light day” for the Orange.

The first to sign with SU was three-star defensive back Greg Delaine, who flipped his commitment from Georgia Tech to SU. The Florida native is listed at 6-foot-1, and totaled 67 tackles and four interceptions in 2021 at Fort Myers (Fl.) High School, per MaxPreps. Delaine made official visits to Iowa State, Georgia Tech and Syracuse before making his final decision.

Buffalo native Kevin Jobity Jr. also signed with the Orange, making it official after announcing on Twitter that he intended to join SU. Jobity recorded 68 tackles and seven sacks this past season at Maryvale High School, helping it to the New York Section VI Class B quarterfinals.

The last to sign on Wednesday was kicker Brady Denaburg. From Merritt Island (Fl.) High School, Denaburg was ranked as the No. 12 kicking prospect in the nation by Kohl’s Kicking. Denaburg, though, will likely be slotted behind starting kicker Andre Szmyt on the depth chart, with Szmyt returning to the Orange for a final year in 2022.

Joining Denaburg in the special teams unit is long snapper Ethan Stangle, who signed as a preferred walk-on. At Kohl’s Kicking camp last year, Stangle finished with an average snap time of .66 seconds and the highest charting score in the country for the 2022 class.

The Orange now have 21 signees after Wednesday’s commitments. December’s 13 commits were highlighted by 3-star running back LeQuint Allen, who Babers said had “a lot more stars and juice” than Sean Tucker. Babers also said SU targeted certain positions: defensive back — where they added five players — and offensive line, defensive line and linebacker, where they added two in each position.

Syracuse also officially added five transfers who previously announced their commitments, including quarterback Dan Villari and defensive back Alijah Clark.

The Orange will begin practice in the next few weeks, with a spring game set for 7 p.m. on April 1 in the Carrier Dome.